Recording audio on Windows 10 is easy and accessible through the in-built Microsoft recorder app. It lets you record basic audios with very simple features. However, if you want to capture high-end audios, try a third party app instead. In this post, we’ll tell you how you can record audio on your Windows 10 computer using both ways.
Let’s get started!
Use the In-Built Microsoft Recorder App on Windows 10
The Microsoft recorder app comes in your Windows 10 by default. We will tell you how to access this recorder a bit later. Let’s first see what to do if you don’t have it already installed on your computer. In that case, you need to go to the Microsoft store to do that.
- Head to the Microsoft store
- Click the blue colored “Get” button
- When a small pop-up menu appears on the top, click “Open”
- Click “Get”
It will install the audio recorder app on your Windows. You can access it by typing “voice recorder” in the search bar and pressing enter. Click the first option that says, “Microsoft Voice Recorder” to launch the app. Alternatively, you can also press Ctrl+R to access the app.
Once the app launches, you can start recording audio on your Windows 10 computer. Here’s how:
- Click the “Record” button to start your recording
- When you want to end it, click the “Stop” button
- It will bring a new window, containing your recorded audio (and a list of all your recorded audios)
- To check the recording, click on its name and select “Play”
- You can also edit, trim, and delete the recording according to your choice
- To share the recording with others, click export button (it’s an icon with an L shaped image that has a curved arrow in it)
Using the in-built audio recorder can help you with simple internal audio recordings. However, you’re looking for an advanced audio recording app on Windows 10, you can use the multi-faceted, Audacity, to do the task.
Use Audacity to Record Audio on Windows 10
If you want to record an external audio or a phone call, or if you want to edit the audio with some nice set of features, Audacity is a good option. You can download the app from the company’s official website.
Launch the app and learn some basics from this guide to get started with Audacity to record your audio on your Windows computer. But first, make some system preparations to synchronize your microphone. So, connect your microphone with your computer.
Go to your system’s Sound Settings and make some tweaks:
- From your desktop screen, click the speaker icon in the bottom-right corner
- Click Sounds from the list
- Head to the Recording tab
- Note down which device is at default
- Right click on the option: “Stereo Mix”
- Select Enable
All done in the system settings! Now, you can move on to Audacity.
- Once the app launches, click the dropdown menu just below the recording buttons in the top right side
- Choose Windows WASAPI
- Go to the dropdown menu alongside the previous dropdown menu to make sure the microphone here is the same that you saw in your system’s Sound Settings
- Click the red circle Record button to start the recording
- To stop it, click the black square button
- Once you are satisfied, go to the File option on the top menu bar
- Click Export to save this file in an audio format such as MP3, WAV, OGG, etc.
- Give this file a name and select Save
That’s about it! You can open this file from the location where you have saved it. Audacity also lets you trim an audio, add filters, sound effects, and more to your audio to make it professional.