No one can deny the popularity of VLC Media Player. It’s free, cross-platform, user-friendly, and so much more like that—the reasons why almost all computer and smartphone owners have it at the top of their lists. If you, too, use this stunning media player, you might be familiar with the myriad of features it inherits. Without the need for additional codecs, it can support almost any kind of audio and video formats. You can play YouTube videos, stream music, and play videos while they are being downloaded. If you love Internet Radio, VLC is a way to go. Walk through the post to learn how you can stream Internet radio using VLC media player.
Depending on which version you use, you can stream Internet radio using VLC by two methods. The earlier versions have a built-in feature that lets you stream radio via Shoutcast radio channels, but for the latest ones, you will have to use other networks to access radio channels. Let’s have a look at the two ways that you can use to listen to radio using VLC player.
Stream Internet Radio using VLC Media Player
Method 1: Connect Directly
- Open VLC and head to the Media drop-down menu at the top
- Click Open Network Stream from the list or you can also use CTRL + N shortcut
- Enter a channel’s URL in the address bar (You will find the radio channel URL list from the internet)
- Click Play
Your favorite channel will start playing. Now, when you want to switch to some other channel, simply repeat the aforementioned steps.
You may also like How to Use VLC as a Screen Recording Tool
Method 2: Browse Channels
Browsing available networks for radio channels directory is a better way to stream internet radio using VLC player. It provides you with a prepared list so you don’t have to look up for channels on the internet. Here’s what you need to do:
- Click the View drop-down menu at the top bar
- Select Playlist
- Click Internet in the left-side panel
- You can choose any of the given options. For instructions’ sake, we are choosing Icecast Radio Directory
- Once the list of all available channels appear in the main pane, select the one you want to stream
- Once selected, right-click on the name of the station and select Play
- To add the channel in the playlist, right-click on the name and select Add to Playlist
That’s all it takes! Enjoy your favorite channel and make the most of the player by listening to the radio on VLC media player.
More at SoftwareVilla: Best 5 video players for Windows