Owing to the busy schedules in today’s world, it’s not possible for you to always keep an account of the places you’ve visited. Since it’s quite important to have a record of all those journeys that you’ve made to manage your future traveling plans, it’s obvious that you would want your virtual maps to be that much efficient and feature-rich. Fortunately, Google Maps offers a feature that helps you browse all the spots along with the routes you’ve traveled on. Here’s this how-to article to guide you view your location history on Google Maps.
View Your Location History on Google Maps
1. Enable Your Location Access
The prerequisite to take the benefit of this Google Maps feature is to enable My Location on your device whenever you travel. In order to enable the feature, follow the steps below:
- Launch Google Maps on your smartphone
- Tap on the three horizontal lines in the top-left corner of the screen
- In the drop-down menu, tap on Settings > Personal Content
- Check if your Location History is on. Turn it On if it’s not
- Now, close Google Maps and open the Settings app on your device
- Scroll down the Settings and tap Google Maps > Location
- On the following screen, check the box next to Always
As you have given permission to your Google Maps to locate you whenever you travel from now on, all your travel history data will be saved to view and manage later on.
You May Also Like: Gear Yourself Up for Real Time Notifications on Google Maps
2. View Location History on Google Maps
- Open Google Maps
- Tap the three horizontal lines in the top-left corner and choose “Your Timeline”
- Tap on the Calendar icon in the top-right corner
- Switch between months by swiping left or right
- Now, tap on a date to see your journey history on that date. It will also show the routes you took and the length and duration of your journey
3. Edit Your Location History on Google Maps
On Android, you can add relevant notes to a particular date saved on Google Maps. This makes it easy to recall what specific events are related to that date. To do so, tap on the Tribar icon > Your Timeline > Calendar icon and select a particular date. Now, tap on the Pencil icon at the top side and add notes to your journey history.
Delete Unnecessary History
You can any time remove the location logs that you no longer want any history about. First, tap on three horizontal lines > Your Timeline > Calendar icon. Next, tap on the menu icon (resembling three vertical dots) in the top-right corner. Tap on the “Delete Day” option next to the day you want to permanently remove from your location history in Google Maps. A pop-up menu will appear, asking for your confirmation. Simply tap on the Delete button to continue.
What do you think about viewing your location history on Google Maps? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.