If you believe that the long, complicated, and hard-to-guess passwords are the best way to protect your Google account then think again! Let us tell you that secure passwords aren’t enough anymore, especially in light of phishing attacks that are increasing day by day like a wildfire. That’s why; it’s important to set up two factor authentication on Google account to safeguard it from prying eyes.
What is Two Factor Authentication?
Two Factor Authentication or 2FA adds an extra layer of security to your account, making sure that there’s no unauthorized access or logins. The 2 factors involved here are your account’s password and the temporary code sent to you in real time for authentication. In Google’s case, the second step may come as a popup or text message on your phone via the Google Authenticator app or from a series of printed single-use codes. With two step verification, you can set up Gmail to require a unique code for login besides your password. However, the code is valid for only 30 seconds.
Without taking your more time, let’s get to know that how to activate two factor authentication for your Google account. Read on.
Set up Two Factor Authentication on Google Account
- Navigate to Google’s My Accounts The page provides you with an overview of your Google account settings and authorized apps. Here, you can edit your personal details, alternate contact numbers, and even add your primary contact number
- Under the Sign-in & Security section, click on the blue Signing in to Google link
- Now, in the Password & Sign-in method section, click on the 2-step verification option to set up two factor authentication on Google account
- An introductory screen will appear, telling you about 2-step verification. All you need to do is simply click on the Get Started button to continue
- Enter your password for your Google account and click on the Sign in button
- Now, you need to enter your mobile number. Once done, you’ll receive a verification code through a voice phone call or text message. Click on the Try it option to set up your Google account security
- As soon as you click on the aforementioned button, you’ll receive a text message or call on your device
- After getting the verification code, enter it in the Confirm that it works window and click on the Next button to activate two step confirmation
- Now, you’ll be accompanied with a screen, telling you that it worked. Click on the Turn on button to finish two step verification for Google account
Afterward, you’ll be back at Google’s two step verification settings page. Here, you can set up an ‘alternative’ second factor if you’re unable to receive text messages or calls.
Read more at How to Find and Merge Duplicate Contacts in Google
Finally, log out of your Google account and log back in. You’ll be asked to enter your password. Then, you’ll get a text message with a 6-digit code. Simply enter that code on the two step verification screen that displays.
In this way, you can set up two factor authentication on Google account. Stay safe!
More from SoftwareVilla: How to Spot Fake Apps in App Store and Google Play Store