Ever since its inception, the Edge browser has undergone major upgrades and it’s now in a better position to compete with other top-tier browsers like Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. It is fast, secure, and also comes with a host of various standard features including the support for extensions. However, there is one troublesome issue that mars its capability of delivering the great user experience – flashing tabs. If you find the blinking tabs issue annoying and would like to switch it off, just read our article on how to fix flashing tabs issue in Edge.
Flashing Tabs Issue in Edge– Why This Happens?
If you’re browsing a couple of websites using the Edge browser with several tabs open, you may notice some of the tabs you’ve opened blinking or flashing a bright orange color. Microsoft has offered this as a great feature to draw your attention to anything you may want to attend to. It’s not a bad idea, but that frequency of the flashing may be quite disturbing.
Any changes occurring in a recently opened tab triggers the flashing effect. Let’s say if a download has finished or a site you had logged in automatically logs you out, that tab will start flashing a bright orange color. Flashing stops when you click on that particular tab. And if you don’t close it, the tab may start blinking again after a while.
You May Also Like: How to Set Google as Default Search Engine in Edge
While there is no way in Edge settings or Windows settings to turn it off, there are a few workarounds that have worked for many users and may work for you as well. Here are two workarounds which many Edge users reported to have worked for them.
Fix Flashing Tabs Issue in Edge
Method 1: Uncheck “Turn on Visual Notifications for Sound”
To uncheck this feature, follow the steps listed below:
- Press Win+X shortcut to open the WinX menu, then scroll down to the Control Panel option and click on it. You can also ask Cortana to launch the control panel
- Navigate to the Ease of Access section in the Control Panel window and click on it
- Under the Ease of Access Center menu, click on the Replace sounds with visual cues option
- You’ll find the option to turn on visual notifications for sounds. You can uncheck the box to turn the flashing effects off and click on the Apply button to save the changes. If the box is unchecked, you may want to try another workaround
Doing so should configure your browser to play a notification sound rather than flashing tabs. This method has worked for most of the Edge users, but there are still some users who claimed it didn’t work for them. If it doesn’t work for you, you can try the next method to fix flashing tabs issue in Edge.
Method 2: Choose a “Light” Theme
To use a Light theme, simply follow the steps below:
- Click on the three dots located in the top-right corner of the Edge
- Scroll down until you find Settings. Click on it
- Under the Choose a theme option, select Light
Changing the theme to Light has worked for many users in preventing the tabs from blinking.
Though there is still no definitive solution from Microsoft to fix flashing tabs issue in Edge, the above-mentioned workarounds are somehow good solutions and have worked for most of the users.
Read More at How to set Microsoft Edge as default browser