Apple Watch Series 3 is the latest and most significant update to Apple’s line of smartwatches for one important reason – LTE connectivity. By adding LTE connectivity, Apple has delivered an upgrade that will completely change your perspective on how to use your device. With a cellular connection, users are able to talk and stream music on their watches for free. No doubt, Apple Watch is one of the best smartwatches available in the market. Well, you’ll be happy to know that you can now pair your Apple Watch with your Android smartphone. Yes, you’ve read that right! In this article, we’ll tell you about how to use LTE Apple Watch with your Android phone. Read on.
There will be many questions floated in your mind regarding this scenario like what will happen if you set up an Apple Watch on an iPhone and then swap iPhone’s SIM card into an Android phone? Will the watch recognize that its paired iPhone SIM was no longer on an iPhone and stop working? Will it still work over a carrier’s LTE connection? And more importantly, if it worked, what could it do?
Well, there’s no way for you to sync your Android phone to an Apple Watch. Also, there is no SIM card to be placed inside the Apple Watch; it’s already built into the chip and when you pair it with an iPhone, that iPhone’s SIM information essentially gets copied to the Apple Watch’s chip.
So, if you’re incredibly innovative and you have a family member with another iPhone, you can swap your SIM into that iPhone and set up a watch that way. You can then put the SIM back into your Android device and use it. Apple encrypts much of the information shared between Apple Watch and iPhone, so it ends up being more than just a simple Bluetooth pairing.
Don’t miss out: Best Ways to Buy an Apple Watch for a Bit LESS
Android smartwatches have an analogous relationship to Android phones in the way that Bluetooth speakers have a relationship with all phones.
So, if you are absolutely sure you want to use LTE Apple Watch with your Android phone, here’s what you need to get started.
- An unlocked iPhone 6 or later
- An unlocked Android smartphone with a microSIM card slot
- A factory-default Apple Watch Series 3 GPS + Cellular watch
- A cellular network supporting Apple Watch Series 3 GPS + Cellular models
- A SIM removal tool
Use LTE Apple Watch with Your Android Phone
- First of all, remove the SIM card from both your iPhone as well as your Android phone
- Next, you need to insert your Android phone’s SIM card into the iPhone
- Once the data connection enables, open the Watch app on your iPhone
- You can then set up your Apple Watch and add it to your carrier’s cellular network
- Now, switch the SIM card from iPhone to your Android phone
- Once done, toggle the Airplane mode on and off on the Apple Watch to make sure it connects to its cellular network
- Use your Apple Watch alongside your Android smartphone
Simple enough! This way you can use LTE Apple Watch with your Android phone.
Also Read: 10 Apple Watch tips to make most out of it