There are times when you might want to record phone calls on iPhone but sadly, there is no such mechanism installed on iPhone by default to do so. We cannot blame Apple here as recording calls are illegal in many countries including the U.S. But, there are many situations like telephonic interviews when recording a call can be very useful. It could even be the recording of a recipe that someone is narrating over the phone or set of instructions that you know you’ll forget. So, if you want to record iPhone calls for free, just go through our post to know how to do so.
Make and Receive Phone Calls Using Mac
Also Read: How to Record Phone Calls on Your Smartphone
Under this section, we’ll tell you how to record iPhone calls via your Mac. For this, you need to download an app called Audio Hijack. Before getting started, check whether or not your Mac is able to make and receive calls using iPhone. Make sure that your Mac has an OS X Yosemite or newer version and your iPhone has iOS 8 or later.
Follow the steps listed below to record iPhone calls via Mac.
- On your iPhone, navigate to Settings > Phone > Calls on Other Devices
- Now, enable the Allow Calls on Other Devices option
- Under the Allow Calls On section, just tap on the switch next to your Mac so that it turns green and is enabled
- Make sure that your Mac and iPhone are connected to the same WiFi network
- Sign in to the same iCloud account on both devices
- Next, sign in to FaceTime via the same iCloud account on both devices
- Make sure your iPhone is placed near to your Mac and both devices have Bluetooth switched on
- Now, whenever you’ll receive a call on your iPhone, you’ll see a notification on the Mac and you are able to answer the phone call on the desktop or laptop. Likewise, you can make phone calls from the Mac
Record iPhone Calls Using Mac
First of all, download and install Audio Hijack on your Mac. It’s a simple yet effective audio recording app from indie app developer Rogue Amoeba. Audio Hijack costs $49 (Rs. 3,200 approximately) but the free trial helps you record for up to 20 minutes in one session
Now, walk through the steps listed below to know how to record iPhone calls using Mac.
- Open Audio Hijack and press Cmd + N or click Session at the top bar
- Select New Session. This will ask you to select a session template
- Next, double-tap on Application Audio
- On the left side, you’ll see three blocks namely Application, Recorder, and Output. Tap on the Application block and select FaceTime from the drop-down under Source
- Now, whenever you make or receive a phone call from your Mac, just hit the Record button at the bottom-left side of the app window
- Once you record iPhone calls, hit the Record button again to stop. You can access the recorded file by navigating to Recordings at the bottom-right side of the app window
So this way you can record iPhone calls for free via Mac. You can record up to 20 minutes for free, after that the app gives a large amount of noise to the recording. To get around this, you can stop the recording before 20 minutes are up and start a new session, and record again.
Remember that this method of recording calls won’t work if you’re not in WiFi range. If you’ve been looking for a way to record phone calls on iPhone, this method is surely your best bet.
You May Also Like: How to Record a Skype Call on Windows