Dealing with emails can be a real pain especially if you get a lot on a daily basis. Continuously having to sort through mails, assign labels, and send endless replies to the same kind of messages can truly spoil your day. In case you find yourself grinding away at your Gmail inbox, you need to check out its filters. You can easily automate your inbox using Gmail filters. Here’s how to do so.
Automate Your Inbox Using Gmail Filters
Currently, there’s no way to set up filters from the mobile Gmail app. So, you need to open the Gmail web client on the desktop to automate your inbox. You can access the Gmail filtering system under the Filters and Blocked Addresses tab of the Settings section.
In the Settings section, you’ll find two options: one for filtering emails and other for blocking emails. As we’ve already provided you with a tutorial on how to block email address in Gmail on web and Android in our earlier post, so now, we’ll focus on how to filter emails to automate your inbox. Just follow the steps listed below.
Step -1: In order to use Gmail filters to automate your inbox, you’ll need to set up a filter for making a set of search parameters. Any incoming emails matching these search terms will be acted upon before they arrive in your inbox, so it’s essential to create your terms as specific as necessary.
Google offers you many self-explanatory boxes to make your required search terms and you can merge as many of these fields into the one search as per your preference.
Let’s understand this with the help of an example. For instance, you need to filter all emails from your boss that relate to your important business project having large attachments. In this case, you’re able to set up a search using the following terms.
- Enter your boss’ email address in the ‘From’ field
- Type ‘Important business project’ in the ‘Has the words’ field
- Tick the ‘Has Attachment’ box
- And enter 5MB in the ‘size greater than’ field
Hopefully, the first step has now cleared to you. Let’s move to the second step.
Step – 2: Now, you’ll need to set what you want the filter to do. You can use Gmail filters to automate your inbox to perform all sorts of tasks for you. There are umpteen of handy options, ranging from automatically labeling emails, forwarding messages to certain people to even reply to messages.
Under the previous example, let’s say you need to label these emails as PDF and ensure they are as important in your inbox as possible. Tick the following filter actions to automate your inbox using Gmail filters.
- Star the email
- Apply the label PDF
- Never send it to spam
- Always mark as important
Click on the blue Create Filter button to automate your inbox using Gmail filters. You can also apply the filter to existing emails and it’ll silently work in the background to revamp your email experience.
So, now you’re familiar with the Gmail filtering system and how it works. Well, not only you can automate your inbox using Gmail filters but also do a lot more handy things. Some of these filters help cut down on unnecessary emails and categorize incoming emails so they can be easily tackled.
You may also like: How to Import iPhone Contacts into Gmail
Handy Uses of Gmail Filtering
- Label Personal and Professional Emails – In case your personal as well as professional emails coming to the same inbox, you can apply labels to these respective emails automatically by using the filtering system. In this way, your professional emails will stand out in your Gmail inbox.
- Delete Spam That Just Won’t Go Away – At times, you might receive a dozen of emails from the same group of email addresses and regardless of how many times you report them as spam, they just keep coming back. Using Gmail filters, you can block email addresses and throw out such emails to trash or spam in a hassle-free manner.
- Highlight Emails Relating to Projects or Event – You are able to automatically highlight important emails using the categorizing, labeling, and starring features of the filtering system.
- Forward Only Some Email – Although it’s quite easy to forward every received email to another address, sometimes you want a more fine-grained way to automatic forwarding. The Gmail filtering system provides you with this ability.
- Archive Emails Immediately – If you get outdated and specifically funny memes via email, you can mark them as read and archive them when they appear by using the filtering system.
So, this was all you need to know about how to automate your inbox using Gmail filters. Let us know your email experience after using the Gmail filtering system via the comments section below.