Regardless of all the engineering efforts made by Apple, there are times when your iPhone or iPad gets stuck or touch screen becomes unresponsive and you need to reset an iPhone. Despite the fact that how long you press the power button, the option that says ‘power off’ just doesn’t show up. Basically, an iPhone or iPad hangs due to a software bug, caused by either a misbehaving app or iOS itself. In such scenario, there’s a failsafe solution to this dilemma.
The solution involves forcing your iPhone or iPad to restart – dubbed a reset and hard reboot. However, some users erroneously hard reset an iPhone by pressing two buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds or more. Doing so will clear all running processes and force/hard reboot an iPad or iPhone. It’s not recommended unless your iOS device is frozen, but sometimes it can be proved as an ace in the hole.
So, without taking your more time, let’s dip our toes a little deeper to know how to reset an iPhone or iPad.
Reset an iPhone
How to Force Restart Your iPhone or iPad?
The method is used for older iPhone 6, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s, iPhone SE, and older iPhone models. Here’re the steps:
- Press and hold the Power button at the right side (on iPhone 6 or later) or at the top side (in all other iPhones, iPad, and iPods)
- While continuing to hold the Power button, press and hold the Home button of your device
- Keep holding both the aforementioned buttons simultaneously until your phone’s screen turns black and shows the Apple logo in middle of the screen
How to Reboot or Reset an iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus?
As Apple iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus have ditched the Home button, so the rebooting functionality is quite different relative to older models. The below walkthrough bespeaks the process to hard reboot or reset an iPhone 7 and its sibling iPhone 7 Plus:
- Press and hold the Sleep/Wake aka Power button at the top side of your device
- While continuing to hold the Power button, you’ll need to press and hold the Volume Down button at the left side of your phone
- Hold both the button until the phone’s screen goes black and Apple logo displays in the middle
How to Reboot or Reset an iPhone Running iOS 11 Beta?
iOS 11 comes with a new soft Restart button that essentially allows you to reboot iPhone or iPad with an unresponsive Power button. The button is offered through the AssistiveTouch option.
Accessed via the Accessibility options on the device, AssistiveTouch offers a virtual touch-based interface to help you complete a range of tasks through a quick access virtual menu. So, all you need to reboot your iPhone running iOS 11 is simply press this Soft Restart button. You can also restart or reboot your device without pressing this button. Here’s how to do so:
How to Reboot or Reset an iPhone or iPad without Using Buttons in iOS 11?
- Open the Settings app on your iOS device
- Tap on the General > Accessibility button
- Next, tap on the AssistiveTouch option
- Toggle the switch next to the AssistiveTouch to the right. Afterward, you’ll need to hit the small AssistiveTouch icon that would show up on the screen
- A pop-up window will arise along with some options. Simply tap on the Device option
- Now, tap on the More option from the appearing pop-up window
- Finally, tap on the Restart option to reboot your iPhone
So, this was all you need to know about how to hard reboot or reset an iPhone or iPad. If you encounter any issues during the rebooting process, feel free to shoot them in comments below.
You may also like: 5 Essential Tips to Double Your iPhone’s Charging Speed