Are you fed up of using the default unlocking method of Windows 10? If so, take your unlocking method one level up! You’ll be glad to know that you can now unlock Windows 10 PC using Galaxy S8 device. Scroll down to know can you really use your Samsung smartphone to unlock any Windows 10 PC.
Samsung has upgraded its Flow app by adding the support for Hello feature of Windows 10. For those who are unfamiliar with the term, Windows Hello allows you to sign into your Windows 10 PC by using just a scan of your face or a touch of your finger – no need to type complicated passwords anymore.
You’ll need to download Samsung Flow app on your Android device as well as on your computer to unlock Windows 10 PC using Galaxy S8. The app is available on Play Store, Samsung’s official website, and Windows App Store. Here’s how you can unlock a Windows 10 PC using the Galaxy S8’s fingerprint reader.
Unlock Windows 10 PC Using Galaxy S8 Phone
Before we ring up the curtains of our tricks to unlock Windows 10 PC using Galaxy S8, here’re some important things you need to know.
Devices Compatible with Samsung Flow App
- Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus
- Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge
- Galaxy S6, S6 Edge, and S6 Edge+
- Samsung Galaxy A5
- Samsung Galaxy A7
- Samsung Galaxy Note 5
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S3
If you own one of the above-mentioned devices, you can easily unlock your Windows 10 PC using your smartphone.
Learn more about Galaxy S8 at Samsung Galaxy S8 Review: Ahead of the Curve
The next thing you need to check is your computer. Your PC must be compatible with Windows Hello to get the job done.
How to Check if Your PC is Compatible with Windows Hello?
As per Microsoft, Surface Book, Surface Pro 4, and other systems with fingerprint sensors already work with Windows Hello. You can unlock your PC by making use of the Windows Hello companion devices such as Windows 10 phones and Microsoft Band. Follow the steps below the check the compatibility of your system with Windows Hello:
- Navigate to the Windows 10 Settings section
- Click on the Accounts option
- Next, click on the Sign-in options button from the left panel
- You’ll be presented with the Windows Hello subheader situated near at the top of the page
- In case you don’t see the message, saying that ‘Windows Hello isn’t available on this device’ then your PC is compatible (Congrats!)
So, once you own the compatible smartphone and PC, you can start with the process. Here’s how to unlock Windows 10 PC using Galaxy S8 phone:
Sign Into Your PC with Samsung Galaxy S8 Phone
In order to unlock Windows 10 PC using Galaxy S8, you’ll require two things:
- A Samsung phone or tablet with a fingerprint scanner and Samsung Flow app installed. The Flow app is compatible with Samsung handsets running on Android Marshmallow or later and Samsung tablets running Android Nougat or later OS.
- A Windows Hello compatible Windows 10 PC, running the Creators Update and Samsung Flow app installed from the Windows Store
Read more about the Creators Update at Windows 10 Creators Update: 11 Best New Features Coming in 2017
Once you have aforementioned things in order, all you need to do is:
- Pair both Samsung device and Windows 10 PC using Bluetooth
- After Bluetooth pairing is done, navigate to the Windows Hello page, click on the Register Device button, and verify with the passcode
- Enter your PIN to complete the process
And there you’re! Now, you can unlock Windows 10 PC using Galaxy S8 by just touching your finger. It is worth notable that you’ll need to register a fingerprint on your Samsung device before the process starts. The Flow app also allows you to sync your phone notifications to PC. This fundamentally makes sure that you can continue to work on your system and still not miss out any message on your handset.
You may also like: How to Remove Bloatware from Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus