Instagram rolled out an incredible feature last year, dubbed Stories to rival against the likes of Snapchat. The social media service has been experimenting with the features ever since. In recent past, it released some notable features like Boomerang, Hands-free video, filters, selfie stickers, stickers, and the sky is the limit from there. Yesterday the company introduced Snapchat users’ favorite features to its list – face filters. In this article, we will guide you on how to use face filters in Instagram Stories.
Like to use Instagram? Check out our post on 10 cool Instagram tips and tricks for power users
How to Add and Use Face Filters in Instagram Stories
- To use face filters in Instagram Stories, first of all, you need to have the updated version of the Instagram app on your smartphone (version 10.21).
- Once you have successfully updated the app, open it and tap the home icon at the lower left edge of the app. Doing so will let you view your feed.
- From there, just swipe across right or simply tap the camera icon at the top-left to open the dedicated Stories Camera.
- Search for new face icon at the bottom-right, to the right side of the camera select button.
- You will see around 8 filters which will superimpose on your face. The filters include crowns, koala ears, and black rimmed glasses with swirling math equations.
NOTE: If you can’t find the face icon, try to force stop the application and re-open it. If the issue still persists, you may need to wait a bit more to use face filters in Instagram Stories. The company stated that the feature will roll out globally in the upcoming weeks.
Did you know that you can share multiple photos in one Instagram post!
- Once you have selected the filter of your choice, tap on the face icon again to make the menu disappear.
- Now use the Instagram face filters with other camera modes such as Boomerang, hands-free video, and more.
- And you’re all set!
- After you have taken a photo or video, you are ready to apply filters and stickers as you normally would.
Additional Goodies in the Update
Apart from Instagram face filters, the service has introduced a couple of additional features along with the update. For example, now instead of using the plain text hashtags, you can simply add a hashtag sticker to your story. By doing this, viewers will be able to click on the hashtag to see related posts.
Other than that, you can also record videos in reverse with the Rewind feature. To use it,
- Go to Stories camera
- Swipe over the Rewind option
- Shoot your short video and it will play in reverse
At the end, there’s also an interesting eraser brush for your comfort. You can fill the entire screen with colors and then use the eraser tool to only unveil parts of your video or photo.
If you are afraid of your account being accessible to unwanted people, you can read our guide on how to make your Instagram account private.
So this was all in our tutorial to add face filters in Instagram Stories. If you have any doubts, please feel free to share with us in comments below.