Are you dying to experience the Android O’s new features on your older phone running Android Marshmallow or higher? Well, you can now get the pixel version of Android O launcher that came with its first Developer Preview.
Android O Developer Preview can already be installed on Nexus and Pixel devices. Specifically, the design of the Pixel Launcher has astonished a large number of users. It is now available as an APK file, so you can download and install Android O launcher on your older phone. Here’s how to do so.
Download and Install Android O Launcher
The community of XDA Developers is one of the most efficient when it comes to providing Android devices with new features. Sometimes, certain software fundamentals are made available which are particularly designed for a version or a smartphone. This is exactly what happened with the pixel version of Android O launcher.
Given that it is now available on the XDA Developers forum, you can install Android O launcher by using a so-called “backport”.
The only requirement to download Android O launcher is that your phone has Android 6.0.1 or later OS. Make sure that the option to install apps from unknown sources is enabled on your phone.
Without further discussion, let’s tell you how to install Android O launcher on your smartphone. Allow us to walk you through the simple steps:
1. Download the APK file of Android O Pixel launcher and install in using Android installer
2. Install the launcher as a system app, so that it will have Google Now integration. You can use the Link2SD app to get the job done. Open the app and grant it super rights when asked
3. Now, you’ll see a list of all the installed apps on your device. Scroll down to find Pixel launcher. Alternatively, you can use its search function to find the launcher
4. Long press on Pixel launcher and select Convert to System app option from the drop-down menu
5. Once it is converted to a System app, reboot your device
When your device boots up, you’ll be asked to select a launcher application. All you need to do is simply select Android O Pixel launcher.
If your previous launcher is still working as the default launcher, navigate to Settings > Apps and tap on the gear icon situated in the top-right corner. Select the Home app > Pixel launcher.