Privacy has become a major concern for the Internet users all over the world. Many users seeking an enhanced sense of privacy are turning to Tor Browser, a network formerly created by the U.S. Navy and now used by innumerable web surfers across the globe.
To protect your data and privacy, you have some viable options like surf web anonymously. You can use Tor Browser for anonymous web browsing. In this how-to article, we’ll teach you how to surf web using Tor while hiding your original IP and location.
Read more at Top 5 best proxy browsers for Windows
Surf Web Anonymously Using Tor Browser
1. First of all, download Tor Browser for Windows
2. For Windows OS, the web browser comes as an EXE file, so it’s basically like installing a program. It is a portable software and doesn’t integrate into a Windows system the way typical programs do. This means that you can run the browser from almost anywhere – your desktop, documents folder, or even a USB drive. After downloading it, double-click on the downloaded EXE file and extract it to your hard drive
3. Launch the Start Tor Browser.exe file located in the Tor Browser folder
4. A new window will arise, asking whether you’d like to connect directly to the Tor network or if you need to configure proxy settings first. It’s best to choose the direct option, i.e. click on the Connect button
5. After a few seconds, a version of Firefox will launch. You’re now connected to the Tor network and able to browse web anonymously
6. Now, the program automatically opens a webpage hosted on https://www.torproject.org/ which contains a link to check your network settings. Clicking on the link will display your current IP address on the network
7. The browser also includes a Torbutton, allowing you to modify particular proxy and security settings. You can switch to a new identity with a single click
Once you’ve done the necessary settings, you can use Tor Browser for anonymous web browsing just as you would with a normal browser. It’s pre-configured with DuckDuckGo and Startpage, the search engines that protect your privacy. Remember not to provide any private information while using the app, otherwise, you’ll lose the anonymity.