By default, Google Chrome is set to block popups from showing up your screen. If you are still getting pop-ups, then you can double check that this feature is enabled or not via your browser’s advanced settings. In case it is disabled, you can block pop-up windows in Chrome by simply enabling it again.
Block pop-up windows in Chrome
For Windows, Mac OS X, macOS Sierra, and Linux
Follow the steps below to know how to block pop-up windows in Chrome:
1. Type chrome://settings/content in Chrome’s address bar and press the Enter key
2. You’ll see Chrome’s Content settings pop-up window, overlaying your main browser window. Now, scroll down until you find Pop-ups section that contains following two options:
- Allow all sites to show pop-ups: This option allows any website to show pop-up windows within Chrome
- Do not allow any site to show pop-ups: You’ll notice that this option is selected by default. It prevents all pop-ups from being displayed in your browser
There is also a button labeled Manage exceptions. Clicking on this button will display specific domains where you’ve chosen to allow or block pop-up windows in Chrome. You can click on the X button to remove an item from the exceptions list. Also, you can manually add a new domain to the list by entering its web address in the Hostname Pattern column.
Once you have done all your pop-up blocker settings, click on the Done button.
You may also like: How to use proxy server in Chrome for Windows
1. Tap on the three vertical dots, dubbed Menu button in the upper-right corner of the browser window
2. Select Settings from the drop-down menu
3. Now, you’ll be presented with Chrome’s Settings window. Navigate to Advanced > Content Settings to stop pop-up windows in Chrome
4. Select the first option that reads Block Pop-ups. To turn Chrome’s pop-up blocker on and off, just tap on the above-said button
5. Finally, tap on the Done button to return to your browsing session
The process is quite similar for Android as that of iOS. To disable pop-up windows in Chrome on Android device, follow the steps below:
1. Tap on the Menu button appearing as three vertical dots in the upper-right corner of the screen
2. Hit the Settings option from the drop-down menu
3. Now, you’ll be presented with Chrome’s Settings window. Under Advanced section, tap on the Site Settings option to block pop-up window in Chrome
4. The Site Settings window will open, listing a number of configurable site-specific options. Scroll down and select Pop-ups option. You’ll see the option is now available with an On/Off button. Tap on this button to block pop-up windows in Chrome
Google Chrome for Android also lets you change pop-up blocking functionality for individual sites. To do so, navigate to the Site Settings > All sites section. Next, choose the site for which you want to change pop-up blocking functionality of Chrome.