Is your laptop taking too much time to boot up? Don’t worry, we’ve got a reliable solution for you. After a lot of research, we have picked up a collection of 5 best tips to make your laptop boot faster, no matter if it’s a Windows laptop or your favorite MacBook. You can go through the below-mentioned tips to efficiently improve your laptop’s boot speed. Let’s get started.
How to make your laptop boot faster
1. Scan your laptop for Viruses & Malware
One of the most common reasons your laptop takes too much time to boot is that it may be affected by a virus. In such case, you can scan your laptop for all possible viruses and malware.
There are a plenty of antivirus solutions available in the market. You can also go through our list of 15 best antivirus solutions to select the program that meets your requirements.
2. Change Boot Priority
Yet another way to boot your laptop faster is to change boot priority, as your laptop takes less time to boot off the hard drive.
Here’s how to change Boot priority in Windows:
- Navigate to the BIOS by pressing F2, F12, or the escape key during the boot process
- Enter the Boot menu
- Move Internal Hard Disk Drive to the top of the Boot Priority list
This will change the boot priority on your laptop and it will boot from the hard drive next time.
On the other hand, Mac users can make their devices boot faster by setting up automatic login option. This will bypass the login screen and your Mac will take less time to boot. Here is how to enable the option:
- Launch System Preferences
- Click Users & Groups option
- Now, click the lock button in the lower-left corner and enter your account password
- Click Login Options in the left panel
- Select an account from the Automatic login dropdown menu
- Enter the password for that account
3. Delete unnecessary startup items
Sometimes your laptop takes too much time to boot because there are too many startup programs and the operating system needs to load them all. In such case, removing unnecessary startup programs can prove much helpful.
To delete unnecessary startup programs:
- Open the startup menu
- Type msconfig in the search box and press Enter
- Now you’ll be navigated to the Startup tab. From here, select the startup items you don’t use often and uncheck them
Meanwhile on the Mac OS X:
- Open System Preferences
- Select Users & Groups
- Click on your username in the left panel
- Now click Login Items tab in the right panel
- This will display a list of different login items in a list. To remove any item from the list, just select it and click “-“ button
4. Uninstall unnecessary programs
Your laptop may also slow down because you have installed too many applications. These apps not only take up too much memory space but also cause significant delays in your laptop’s booting time. So, we recommend you to uninstall all unnecessary programs from your laptop.
To uninstall unnecessary programs:
- Open control Panel and click Uninstall a program option
- This will open a list of all programs currently installed on your laptop. Now, you can select the ones you don’t need and choose to uninstall them
To uninstall a program from the list, right-click it and select Uninstall option.
To delete an app on Mac, you can:
- Drag the app from the Applications folder to the trash
- Select Finder > Empty Trash
This will permanently remove the app from your Mac.
5. Replace your laptop’s hard drive with SSD
The last but not the least, yet another efficient way to make laptop boot faster is to replace its traditional spinning hard drive (HDD) with the new solid-state drive (SSD). This will magically improve your laptop’s speed as there are no moving parts.
Installing a solid-state drive (SSD) on your laptop is very easy. You just need to transfer the data on your hard drive to the SSD and then replace the SSD with the old hard drive. You can also refer various tutorials online. However, we recommend you to contact a technician before you do so.
Our guide on how to make your laptop boot faster ends here. Stay tuned for more updates.
Read More: 10 Apple Watch tips to make most out of it