Setting up an administrator account is the first thing you do before using your new Mac. If you fail to remember the administrator password, you’ll not be able to perform various tasks that require admin access. Fortunately, you can reset administrator password on Mac using one of the following methods.
Methods to reset administrator password on Mac
Use another administrator account to reset your admin password
The most convenient method to reset administrator password on Mac is through a second administrator account. In fact, it’s highly recommended that you have two administrator accounts on your Mac for fixing various issues, including resetting the account password. If you remember the password for the second administrator account, follow these steps:
- Log into the account.
- Go to System Preferences, and select the Users and Groups preference pane.
- Hit the lock icon in the bottom left of the same screen to change admin password on Mac OS X.
- Select the administrator account whose password you want to reset.
- Hit the Reset Password button in the right-hand pane and enter your new password.
- Finally, click the Reset Password button on the drop-down sheet and you’re done.
Use your Apple ID to reset your admin password
Since OS X has started to integrate Apple ID password with your administrator password for Mac, it has become easy to recover forgotten passwords. Actually, you can use this feature to reset any user account type.
- In order to use this method to reset administrator password on Mac, your Apple ID must be associated with that account.
- Enter your password incorrectly three times on the login window, you’ll get an option to reset your password.
- Click the small button next to the “…reset it using your Apple ID” text.
- Enter your Apple ID and password, and then hit the Reset Password button.
- A warning message will appear, click on the OK button.
- Provide a new password, along with the password hint, and finally hit the Reset Password button.
Use Recovery Mode to reset your admin password
Apple includes a tool to reset administrator password on Mac. This is the best option if you’ve completely forgotten your account password.
- Turn off your Mac.
- Press the power button while holding down Command-R. This will start Recovery Mode.
- Select Disk Utility and hit Continue.
- Choose Utilities> Terminal.
- Type “resetpassword” and press Return.
- Select the volume that contains your account.
- Choose the account and provide a new password, along with the password hint.
- Click on Save.
- A message will appear that the password has changed. Click OK.
- Click Apple> Shutdown.
Now you can log in to your Mac using your new password.