Your Aadhaar data is more secure now, as UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) has introduced a facility on its website which allows you to lock Aadhaar biometric data online.
When the government issues you an Aadhaar card, it also keeps your fingerprint and retinal scan data. This is known as biometric data. This biometric information is very crucial for citizens as it helps them avail various services like banking and employment. For instance, you can submit your Aadhaar card as an identity proof to open a bank account. By doing this, you allow the bank to access your identity information.
However, there have been few cases where people complained about misuse of their Aadhaar biometric authentication. The only way to avoid all this is to lock Aadhaar biometric data online.
By doing so, your online biometric data cannot be accessed by anyone else. You can unlock it whenever you have to use it for verification, and then lock it again. This will add an extra layer of security to your sensitive information. In case you are not aware, here’s how to lock Aadhaar biometric data online:
- Log into UIDAI official website
- Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number
- Enter the security code shown in the image below your Aadhaar number
- Click Generate OTP
- You’ll receive a one-time password through an SMS on your registered phone number
- Now enter the OTP on the same page
- Click Verify and check Enable biometric locking
- Finally, click Enable in order to lock Aadhaar biometric data online
- In case you need to use your Aadhaar data for verification, uncheck Enable biometric locking and click Disable.
This will lock/unlock your Aadhaar biometric data online. Once the biometric data is locked, you can authenticate Aadhaar based transactions via the OTP sent by UIDAI Agency on your registered phone number. Hence, there will be no need of your fingerprint or retina scan for authentication. You’ll find it really useful when you have lost your Aadhaar card and you are worried that someone might misuse it.