If you have a high-resolution movie on your computer that you want to watch on your smartphone, you’ll probably have to shrink it to a size that suits your phone. There are a lot of video compression software out there but did you know that you can compress large video files with VLC as well.
Compressing videos with VLC is pretty easy and competes other paid software in terms of speed and quality. Without wasting any more time, let’s get started with how to compress large video files with VLC.
Compress large video files with VLC media player
1. The first thing you need to do is to download VLC Media Player or simply open it if it’s already installed. Then click on Media in the menu bar.
2. Scroll down to the bottom of the menu and hit Convert/Save option. This will open a Windows pop up on your screen. Alternatively, you can press Ctrl+R to go to media options.
3. The next step is to hit the Add button to select the large video file that you want to compress.
4. Choose the destination folder, an appropriate file name, and the output file type under the profile section.
You can compress your files into different formats, including mp4, Ogg, and DivX. Select the one that suits your requirement.
5. You can further compress a video file by reducing the video and audio bit rate; however, you’ll get a video with poor quality.
6. Once you have adjusted the settings, Save the profile, and hit the Start button.
7. VLC will now start the conversion process. The video conversion time depends on the video formats and the video size you have chosen.
This way you can easily compress large video files with VLC. Once you’re done, just connect your smartphone to your PC using a USB cable, copy the files to it, and enjoy watching your favorite movie. If you have got any better method to compress large video files, feel free to share it in the comments section!