All of you are already familiar with GOM Player. The multimedia utility is one of the best media players available in the market. It support almost all audio and video file formats to make your multimedia experience seamless and fun. The software is a great way to play your favorite media files no matter what format they belong to. Given the ease of use and extended support for an array of audio/video input and output, it’s no surprise that many of you would want to set GOM Media Player as your default video player.
If such is the case with you, then you have arrived at the right post. Here we will cover the complete steps to set GOM Media Player as your default video player in details. What’s more? We have covered three different ways to do so. So you can choose the option of your preference and set GOM Media Player as your default video player following our simple guide. If you like ot play your videos along with the dialogues, you can also choose to add subtitles to GOM. We will discuss it in our next post. Let’s get started.
Best ways to set GOM Media Player as your default video player
Method 1: use GOM Media Player preferences window
To set GOM Media Player as your default video player using this option, all you need to do is just,
- Open Preferences window (Press F5)
- Select Others from the list on the left
- You will be directed to File Types tab in the Others section
- Now, you can choose the file types of your preference you want to associate with GOM Player
- If you want all file types to be associated with the player, click on Select All button
Note: Doing this will make every relevant file type open with GOM Media Player by default.
If you have a system running Windows Vista, you won’t be able set GOM Media Player as your default video player. This is due to the fact that associating files through GOM Media Player interface won’t overwrite the top priority status already given to Windows Media Player by the registry. Don’t worry, Windows Vista users can opt for the next option to do so.
Method 2: Associate files manually through Windows Explorer
Though the particulars of this method varies slightly for different Windows versions (including Windows XP/ Vista/ 7), the basic approach of premise is same for all of them. Here we have taken into consideration details for Windows 7. Here you go,
- Search the file you want to open with GOM Media player
- Right click on it to bring the popup menu
- Mouse-over the Open with option in the list
- Select Choose default program
- You will see a window showing a collection of Recommended Programs at the top and Other Programs below it.
- Click on GOM Player (In case you can’t see GOM Player in the options, click on ..)
- Navigate to “GOM.exe” manually
- Finally, check the box next to “Always use the selected program to open this kind of file”
- Click OK
From now, every file in the same format will automatically open with GOM Media Player.
Method 3: Using Control Panel
If you are running Windows 7 on your system, you just need to,
- Go to Control Panel
- Click on Default Programs
- Choose from the options to either “Set your default programs” to modify the GOM Media Player settings or you can choose “Associate a file type or protocol with a program” to change settings for individual file types. The former one is easier to follow and understand.
- From Set Default Programs, select GOM Player from the list
- Click set this program as default
- If you opt for Choose defaults for this program, you are allowed to select the files you want GOM Player to play individually
- Once done, click OK
And you’re done. So this was a roundup of all three methods to set GOM Media player as your default video player. You can choose the one you find more comfortable and easier to follow.