Get ready to take your Facebook chatting experience to the upper level. Facebook allows you to keep in touch with your friends and family by sharing texts, posts, images and a lot more; now you can begin with video chat on Facebook.
Bragging with over 1bn active users, the social media giant allows you to video chat with your fb friends using either fb’s official site or via the Messenger app. There is no need to install any additional app, but the feature supports only a few browsers in case you want to chat from your PC.
Here’s how to start video chat on Facebook:
Method 1: Using Facebook Messenger on your device
- Open a chat with the person you wish to video chat with: It is recommended that open a chat conversation with just a single person, not with a group.
- Hit the Video Chat button: After opening the chat, you’ll find a Video Chat button at the top-right. Tap on it and this will start calling the person you want to video chat with.
Bonus tip: If the video chat button converts into grey or not appears, this means that the person you want to video chat with is not able to receive the call at this time.
- Wait for a while and let the other person pick the call: Once you tap the video chat button, the recipient will be informed that there is a video call for him/her.
The recipient will be able to answer the call using Messenger or the Facebook site and a webcam.
- You can swap camera button to switch between both front and rear cameras: Just tap the Camera button during the video chat on Facebook to see what the Messenger app is showing.
Method 2: Video chat on Facebook using the fb website
- Connect a webcam: If your PC does not have a webcam connected then you’ll have to install one prior to starting the video chat on Facebook.
- Open the chat menu: Navigate to the lower-right corner of your screen and open the chat menu by clicking it, if it is not open already
Note: You are advised to do this only using Chrome, Opera or Firefox browser as video calling is not supported in Safari, Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge.
- Select the person from the list appeared you want to video chat with: You can select a name you commonly chat within the appeared list, or you can find through all of the fb contacts by typing the name into space at the bottom of the list.Note: The giant platform currently supports video chat with a single person. You cannot video chat on Facebook with a group of people.
- Hit the Video chat button: Click the button looks like a silhouette of a video camera. This will show you a new window for the video chat on Facebook.
Note: In case you are not able to hit the button, the recipient it means is not available to attend your call.
- Let Facebook access your webcam: Here you can find some variations depending on the web browser you are making use of. In general, you are required to click the Allow or Share option to let Facebook access your webcam.
- Wait! Allow another person to Pick your call: Once you click the said button, the recipient will be informed either via the Facebook website or through their Facebook Messenger app, entirely depending on their online status. If the recipient chooses to answer, your video chat on Facebook will begin.