Microsoft Edge is gaining popularity and becoming more and more viable web browser with its extension support. The web browser shows a thumbnail preview of websites or services when you hover your mouse over the tab space. The feature can be useful at times, but it might be annoying also. In case you find the feature of no use, you may need to consider turning it off. While Microsoft Edge doesn’t offer any built-in setting that lets users disable tab previews, but users can manually edit the Registry to turn the Edge tab preview feature off in Windows 10.
Here’s how to disable tab previews in Microsoft Edge
To disable tab previews in Microsoft Edge, all you need to do is just make some changes to one setting in the Windows Registry.
Note: Registry Editor is an important tool and mistreating it can make your machine unstable or even inoperable.
- Click the Start button and type regedit
- Press Enter to open Registry Editor
- Confirm the UAC prompt that appears
- In the Registry Editor, make use of the left sidebar to go to the following key “HKEY_CURRENT_USER > SOFTWARE > Classes > Local Settings > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > AppContainer > Storage > microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe > MicrosoftEdge > TabbedBrowsing”
- Now create a new DWORD entry inside the TabbedBrowsing key
- Just right-click the TabbedBrowsing folder and select New > DWORD
- Give it a name called TabPeekEnabled
- When you generate the new entry, double-click its default value to open its properties window
- Set the value to 0 in the Value data box and press OK
- If you have Microsoft Edge open, just shut it and open again
- Microsoft Edge tab previews will be gone
Bonus Tip: Before making changes to Registry, back it up manually or by creating a System Restore point.
Keep this in mind that doing so will not make any change to the speed of the browser. If the tab previews are slowly loading and you find that it affects your web browsing experience then disabling them will be an improvement. If they have never created a problem when switching between tabs, then disabling them will not improve your web browsing experience.
In case you want the Edge tab previews back, just set the value of the registry key to 1 or delete it.
Also Read: 15 Microsoft Edge shortcuts you need to know