Instagram has just added a new feature called Instagram Stories. Instead of posting carefully chosen photos, the feature lets you post a bunch of photos throughout the day. At the end of that day, your posted photos disappear. One thing you would like to know is that Instagram Stories are more like Snapchat Stories.
The feature is getting popular among Instagram users, who want to try something new and exciting. That’s why we’ve come up with a useful help guide where we’ll discuss everything you need to know about Instagram stories.
Everything you need to know about Instagram Stories
About Instagram Stories
Instagram Stories is a new feature that lets you share posts that will remain for only for 24 hours from the time of posting. The feature lets you post photos and videos throughout the day. After 24 hours, these photos and videos will disappear.
The feature, which has rolled out for Android and iOS yesterday, places a row of circular avatars at the top of your Instagram feed. Each bubble represents an account you follow and feature every photo and video clip they’ve posted to their story feed within the last day. Tap a bubble their story will appear full-screen, advancing automatically with a slick rotating cube effect. You can also tap on the left side of the screen to rewind the feedback to an earlier post.
Unlike the main news feed, there is no option to like or comment stories. However, you can reply to them with text messages. Your replies will appear inside the Instagram Direct mailbox.
Near perfect copy of Snapchat Stories
When we have a sneak peek at the newly added Instagram feature, it seems like we’ve already seen it somewhere. It sounds somewhat familiar. That’s because it is! The feature is very much like Snapchat’s My Story feature. There’s a slight difference in the filters and lenses. Rest of the feature appears quite similar.
We all must know that My Story feature is an ultimate feature of the Snapchat application that has contributed a lot to the company’s growth since its debut in 2013, encouraging users to post more frequently about their personal lives. So, we can assume how the Instagram introduction of the feature is going to affect its 300Mn regular users.
How to create Instagram Stories
Creating your Instagram stories is somewhat identical to create them in Snapchat. Here’s how you can create Instagram Stories:
• Tap the plus button found on the top left side of your home screen or swipe left in your feed
• Tap the Circle button at the bottom of the screen to take photos or tap and hold to record a video. You can also upload photos or videos. To do so, swipe down on the screen and choose your photos or videos from gallery
• Edit your photos and videos with test or some kind of drawing. You can a suitable one from various available options
• Tap Done to save your story
• Tap the checkmark button if you want to share your story
Now the photos and videos chosen for your story will appear for next 24 hours. People can swipe through them and watch your photos and videos. A colorful circle will appear around your profile picture letting your followers know that you’ve posted a story.
Instagram stories can also be removed. You just need to:
• Tap on the three dots at the bottom right of the photo or video you want to delete
• Tap Delete and confirm
Hide stories from people
You can also hide your stories from some people. You just need to:
• Tap the sun symbol (iOS) or three dots (Android) in the top right of the screen
• Choose Story Settings
• Tap Hide my story from
• Select people, you want to prevent from seeing your story and tap Done
Now, these people will be able to see your posts and profile, but can’t see your story.
Keep haters at bay
You can also prevent some people from commenting on your story. You just need to:
• Navigate to your profile and tap the sun symbol(iOS) or the three dots(Android) in the top right of the screen
• In Story Settings, you can select an option from the list
You can choose between:
• Everyone that will let everyone comment on your story
• People You Follow to let just those who follow you comment
• Off to prevent everyone from commenting on your story
Save your stories from disappearing forever
In case, you’ve grown fond of your story and don’t want it to disappear forever. You can choose to download it to your phone. For this:
• Open your story
• Tap on the three dots on the bottom right of the photo or video
• Tap Save photo
Post your stories as regular photos
If you want everyone to see your photos and videos more permanently, you can add them to your profile grid. You just need to:
• Open your story
• Tap three dots at the bottom right of the photo or video
• Tap Share as Post
• Now you can add filters, captions, and locations to make your post more interactive
• Once done, tap the Share button
See who’s checking out your story
If you’re curious to see who’s checking out your story, you can also check it. You just need to:
• Open your story and swipe on the screen
At the bottom of the screen, there’ll be a view counter and the names of the people who viewed your story. And one more thing! Don’t feel shy about the numbers. Only you can see the information.
You can also hide your story from someone who you don’t want to see it. Just tap the three dots in front of the person’s name and select Hide story from [username].
Our list of important things you need to know about Instagram Stories ends here. Now it’s time for some practical. So grab an iOS or Android device running the Instagram app, start using the feature and explore more about it. Enjoy!