GOM Player is undoubtedly among the best media players available in the market. The multimedia tool offers an array of features and today, we will discuss one of its main highlights. You can easily add subtitles to GOMf Player without any need for additional software. Yes, the audio/video player is capable of doing so, thanks to its advanced functionality.
Modern video file formats like Matroska and OGM features subtitle data encoded within, which GOM Player automatically detects during playback. You just need to right-click and select Show Subtitles. Contrary to this, older and more antiquated video formats such as MPGs and AVIs do not contain this information within their file.
The problem arises when you want to play a video or a movie in an older format with subtitles. In this situation, you will only need to download the subtitle track for the file separately (file format is .SRT), and then associate it with the video file. Though the process sounds a bit complicated and lengthy at first, it’s not as difficult as it looks. Luckily, you will find plenty of useful resources on the web. You can even rotate a video in GOM Player if needed.
Before we get started with the guide to add subtitles to GOM Player, let’s know what the process requires.
Requirement: To add subtitles to GOM Player, you will need an AVI or MPG file and the subtitle data file (.SRT format).
Read more at How to make GIF Animation with GOM Player for fun
Steps to add subtitles to GOM Player:
- First, you will need to create a new folder on your system and copy the video file there
- Now, add the subtitle data file (.SRT format) into the same folder. (The subtitle data file is the entire dialogue of the video file contained in a text format. It includes timing information between each line. You can readily get these files on the Internet)
- Rename the subtitle data file in order to match the filename of the video in the same directory, besides the extension which should remain in the same .SRT format. (For instance, if the movie is named moviefile1.avi, you should change the subtitle file to moviefile1.srt).
- Look for the GOM Player shortcut on your desktop and launch it with a double-click. You can also locate the program in the Windows Start menu and click it once. GOM Player will launch afterward.
- Right-click anywhere on the main player window and select Open and then File (s). You will see an explorer window popping up.
- Search the video file you want to play along with the subtitles in the directory created in the first step. Now double-click to open it in GOM Player. The video will load automatically with the subtitles in GOM Player.
- Press the Play button to start playback. You can also right-click anywhere on the main player window to choose Subtitles and then Show Subtitles. Simply press ALT + H as an alternative to toggle between hide/show subtitles mode.
So, this was our step by step guide on how to add subtitles to GOM Player without having to download additional software. Follow the steps, add subtitles to GOM Player, and enjoy your favorite videos in a whole new way. And if you want, you can take video screenshot using GOM Player without having to pause the video.
Read more about GOM at How to set GOM Media Player as your default video player